Through the looking glass
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introductions

4 posters

Go down

Introductions Empty Introductions

Post  Gus Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 am

Hello. My name is Gus (Augustine Leudar) .I make sound installations and occasionaly music, sort of... My latest project was a commision for the Eden project in Cornwall which you can find out about here :

http://soundcloud.com/augustine-leudar/biomes-at-night

and a Bio here :

http://augustineleudar.110mb.com/bio.htm

I am dedicated to working with sound and although Im not in it for the money - the more I can make a living with sound related activities the better .
I formed this group on the grounds that acting collectively might be mutually beneficial for not only for myself and everyone involved - lets hope so !
Aside from music I am quite into Judo and Brazilian Ju jitsu. I have recently returned form Thailand with a bunch of surround sound recordings which I hope to put to more good use . I am presently in the UK - well over to you - dont be shy !
P.S. Please feel free to speak your mind and start new topics etc,
cheers,
Gus
P.P.S> I am away for a week.

Gus
Admin

https://lookingglass.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Introductions Empty Hello and welcome

Post  WillHeller Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:23 am

Hey everyone who has an interest in Augustine's nice idea. I'm Will and I live in Connecticut within the US. Music represents something unexplainable: a search for the infinite: an expression of universal creation through methods beyond communication and language. All art is this way. I am communicating something that I have no grasp of, through tonal experiments, theories and philosophy. It is all the same. I am looking for opportunities to extract the unconscious action of the universe and art. The more people that hear it, the more will fall in love.

WillHeller

Back to top Go down

Introductions Empty Re: Introductions

Post  Gus Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:40 am

Nice to have you on board William. I was wondering do you have some classical training ?
For me making music is very similar to sculpture or perhaps jewelerry in that I start with a raw block of randomly generated chaos and then chip away at the irrelevant material to reveal the form that is innate in the original "block" of sound. I often feel that pictures and music create themselves as well and might even go so far as to say occasionaly I am merely the tool of some outside agent - a view very unpopular in the academic circles that I occasionaly move through - so of course I dont mention that side of things instead ascribing a series of meaningless hyperbolic intelectual explanations to my work - the sentances usually start with "This piece explores the relationship between...." However I have found academia has allowed me to dedicate the time I need to sonic art - even if I do have to write a load of carefully referenced nonsense to explain why I chose a particular sound etc.
I feel we live in a culture that is quite oppressive to the imagination - despite this many people still seem to have produced some extraordinary works of art and music.

Gus
Admin

https://lookingglass.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Introductions Empty Buckminster Darwin

Post  Buck D Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:40 am

My music explores the relationship between...well, I think Barry Manilow said it best, I write the songs that make the whole world sing, I write the songs of love and special things, I write the songs that make the young girls cry, etc. etc.

I live in Asheville, NC - "The Paris of the South", which means absolutely nothing to most people.

I compose music as a way of getting out of doing other things.

But all snarkyness aside, I can relate what ya'll are saying.

Buck D

Back to top Go down

Post  Elias Tentaculo Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:33 pm

Hi,
I am Elias, from São Paulo, Brazil. My "main" identity is Tentaculo (www.soundcloud.com/tentaculo), but aparently, it is too comercial for Mr. Leudar, so my contribuition here is from the obscure side project of myself (oh, the lower-under-underground!) Crawling Creature (www.soundcloud.com/crawlingcreature). Just kidding, Augustine! Smile
Sorry if I took so long to register and introduce myself, I´ve being kind of away lately.

It is a honour to be chosen by Augustine to be part of this wonderful project.

I make music because there is no reason.

All the best,
Elias "Tentaculo" (Crawling Creature)

Elias Tentaculo

Back to top Go down

Introductions Empty Hello everyone

Post  annapidgorna Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 pm

I'm Anna and I am from Vancouver, Canada. I am currently in the middle of my masters in music composition degree, so I revolve more around the academic circles that Augustine mentioned. I'm hoping to get out of those circles for a while though and make composing my full time job, as much as possible. I thrive on creating new things and love the idea of bringing something into the world that didn't exist before. I've worked with visual arts as well, so it seems that music is just the chosen medium of the moment (or the decade). I compose both acoustic music in the "classical" tradition and electroacoustic stuff, but I've also started dabbling in mixing the two through live computer processing. I'm excited about this project and curious to see where it will end up.

annapidgorna

http://www.annapidgorna.com

Back to top Go down

Introductions Empty OOPS, Meant to post HERE

Post  Solo Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi everyone.... wow, what a great group here so far, I'm familiar with most of your work through SoundCloud. I'm Solo Goodspeed, aka SchizoBrainiac, broadcasting live from the San Fernando Valley in Cally USA. Invited by Augustine on the premise of his LP project because of my own tendency towards sonic abnormality, and liking it more the more I think about it, especially after seeing who all may end up on board! It took an interview with SoundCloud to define to myself exactly what it is I do, but I've pretty much officially decided it is a form of theater, initiated by the creation of music until someone comes up with an idea for an actual show. I feel very connected to this Through The Looking Glass concept because of how it suggests stepping into another reality that is really the same reality, just filtered through an alternate lens. Sorry it took me so long to get here Augustine, I'm something of a Master Procraster some times.

So here we go.......

Solo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum